Thursday, February 2, 2012

From The Mouths Of Babes



April 10th 1991.


As anyone who works in a school knows, a teacher is at a distinct disadvantage when laryngitis strikes. And it was my turn to be so afflicted. So, as I approached our preschooler's door behind which wiggled ten sweet, busy munchkins with short attention spans, I sent up a quick prayer for help. Entering the room I croaked a greeting and immediately had everyone's attention. So, I settled into a low chair and explained that I would need them to be very quiet at story time and sing their best at song time. They all rose to the occasion and I was pleased to see them so enthusiastic about helping me. As we finished little Joshua, who had been singing with a serious face and furrowed brow, looked up at me and with as much fatherly tone as he could muster said, "Miss Valerie,Just go A-HM-M-M-M-M-M!". Laughing inside with delight at his compassionate remedy for my problem, I thanked him.


Even though  my voice would not improve for several more days, I left that day with a song in my heart. Aren't three-year-olds wonderful?

Written by Valerie Sadler


I found this story tucked in a sympathy card and forgot about it, as I forgot many things right after Joshua's death. I came across it again and it brought me such a chuckle and happy tears. The woman who wrote this was a very special teacher, she had a heart full of love and Joshua adored her. We don't always think of teachers as making such an impression or taking such care of our children, but they do.

~Joshua's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment