Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrist Bands





Cost $60 For Wristbands.....
Response from people who want one....
PRICELESS


In a cabinet next to my bed are my many priceless items left behind by my son. The hardest and best for me to keep was his jacket from Hot Topic. It was a long black trench coat with red outline and zippers all over. I remember buying it for him, I remember the day he stood in the living room and slipped it on and it was perfect. I remember him NEVER taking it off. It would have likely been a phase if he had lived long enough. Some days I stretch it out on my bed and others I take it out and hold onto it, trying to smell what might be left of his scent. The bands in the above picture match it exactly. Also in this cabinet is a journal, a deck of phase 10 cards that he carried with him everywhere. A t-shirt that says "you laught at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same". I always taught the kids to march to a different drum and Joshua did that with pride. I wish I had felt so proud of him instead of afraid of how different he was! People are often afraid of what they do not understand. Now I embrace this.

Last night I put the picture of the wrist bands up on my FB page, Life Is A Highway and the response was shocking. Why would anyone want one of these? Why would anyone read this blog? Why has anyone entered into this journey with me. I have found that empathy is a quality that more people have than I understood and also that many do not have an ounce of it. Do these people understand at all what gifts they give me through caring and honoring my sons memory? That a simple "I would like a bracelet" is a small shiny gift for me that warms my heart and makes me feel like his mother again? The beauty of it is NO! The past month since I started this blog, started this walk and started fundraising for this cause, has been like my very own advent calender before Christmas! Each day I wake up with the excitement of a child to see who and what is in store for me. I peel back the paper and look inside. It is almost NEVER what I would have expected. For one who is never suprised...that in itself is a gift.

How to get these bands to people is another question!...I would buy thousands and send them to everyone if I could.

Blessings,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment